Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Last night

Last night we went to cub scouts. Caleb got to participate in a flag raising ceremony. He was very excited. All the boys did a good job. Caleb is working on citizenship things. It is so nice to see Caleb doing so well. There were times when I didn't know if he would ever learn to talk. Last night all the boys were asked to draw a picture of ways you can help other people and then tell different ways that you could help other people. Caleb was able to do this. It brought a tear to my eye. Other people there had no idea that this would have been impossible just a few years back. I would like to encourage everyone with boys to put them in cub scouts and boy scouts. It is a wonderful program that gives good opportunities to kids.

2 comments:

  1. This evening when I dropped our son off at Awana we had to wait for the leader. He went into the room and he picked up a toy killer whale and started talking about it. I could understand what he was saying, but another boy who was older was there couldn't. He said to his dad "he talks like an alien." I held my tongue, which wasn't easy. Unfortunately the other parent didn't say anything to his son. Our boy is coming along and it had been awhile since someone had made a comment in my earshot. I hope that there comes a time when he can talk and people don't wonder about him. From Caleb's experience it sounds as though there is hope. :) Thanks for the encouragement.

    ReplyDelete
  2. People can be so mean. They have no idea how hard it is. Three years ago we tried cub scouts and we quit going because Caleb was not enjoying it because he couldn't talk. There were a few kids that weren't nice. They would make fun of him and their parents would just smile as if it were nothing. But it was something to me. It is a very long and painful process that has brought a lot of tears to our family. But Caleb is such a blessing and I have learned so much. I have become a stronger person. I am very a very shy person. But I have stood up for Caleb and I have been his voice when he didn't have one. And I have got in people's faces that aren't nice. I teach my kids to treat people the way you want to be treated. Hang in there. You will get through this.

    ReplyDelete