Sunday, November 1, 2009

I wish that more health insurances would recognize the imprtance of speech therapy. Our health insurance would only pay for so many speech therapy sessions a year. And most speech therapy sessions are 100$ a session. These sessions are usually 30 min to 45 mins. And they are once to twice a week. We couldn't afford that. The only other option is to give your child over to the public school system and allow them to place a "label" on your child and throw them in special ed classes. Public schools teachers are not taught how to deal with kids that need special attention. Now don't get me wrong. I believe that special ed classes are needed in public schools. There are children with Down's Syndrome and other things that need these special ed classes. But what about children that have average IQs? Why should my son be thrown in the special ed class just because he didn't speak as well as the other kids. Even though he places at his grade level on testing. Even though my son does his school work and learns very quickly. Think about the damage it does to the young mind. To tell them they aren't smart enough. It crushes their dreams and makes them feel limited. I want my son to know that he is very smart. And that he can do anything he wants to do.

2 comments:

  1. Insurance companies don't care about anything except making money. Our insurance is supposed to pay for a combo of 60 speech, physical and occupational therapy for year. Ha. We have gone around with the insurance company. The hospital had 1 speech therapist who was working 3 days a week and they were overloaded and couldn't even get him in! I think if he had an autism diagnosis they might do more for him or he might qualify for medicaid. Right now we have a $1400 speech therapy bill we are working on. I know I got into the wrong field- over $100 for half an hour of work. It is frustrating. We just pulled him out of his preschool which is public. His IEP is now null and void which could be a good thing. If he makes enough progress in the next 10 months he could qualify as "normal" in K. Our boy is very bright and he doesn't belong in special ed. He was in special ed preschool over the summer and all the boys did, yes it was all boys, was hit and bite each other. Great influence on a little guy who has no siblings and didn't know about those activites.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I posted a video on my website of my son. It shows Caleb at 4 years old talking and now at 9 years old. Watch the video and see what you think. We spent years in and out of speech therapy. We would see kids coming and going and I always wondered what progress these kids would make in a few years. The video is on my homepage towards the bottom. www.ourhomeschoolideas.com I just couldn't see placing my son in special ed. I went to college and got my degree in early childhood. I wanted to teach first grade. Well I have got to teach. LOL My son is smart and places good on tests. He would have been labled and put in special ed. Go to my website and watch my video and see what you think. I am just so thankful that Caleb has come this far. I never think about where we should be. I just think about where we were and how far we have come. Have a good day.

    ReplyDelete